Monday, January 5, 2009

For Janine Yvette


I close my eyes and instantly I smell you.
The smell of hospital soap, vicadin, and peppermint swirled with the smoke from your Capri's.
Your lips look as if to speak of mischief as you notice the pale blue shimmers that stain my stomach.
Your sweet laugh resonates through your cluttered room as I confess my constant indulges in the rich orange Azzura lotion.
The light shines through your window cut only by the blinds.
Inside jokes bounce off walls as we meander down the unlit hallway.
We fill bowls with bright crayon-colored fruits from exotic imaginary lands far away from us.
Slow reggae beats pulse through our skin.
We sing and sway to the soothing Caribbean music that isn't there.
Trouble and pain seem so distant...and we are untouched by its plague.
a spur of the moment adventure envelopes us with a knowing smile and identical eyes sparkle in the noon sun.
Silly wagers made on the people encompassing us create an elaborate world all our own.
We sip frothy caffeine from cute insulated cardboard cups and notice the grays in your hair shine in the golden-red sun.
Our voices fill the bus with song, risingand falling in melodious harmonies.
Book talk, your sweet hums while stroking my sea salted hair lull me to a peaceful slumber.
"You are my sunshine my only sunshine.
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.
So PLEASE don't take my sunshine away."

No comments: